It’s January and you might be hoping that this year things will be different. You’ve got your fingers crossed to feel good this year, to be stress-free, to be able to go with the flow, and love your life. Because even though you have a good life, maybe even great one, somehow anxiety gets the best of you anyway.
Most people who suffer from stress, worry, and anxiety have tried a few things to get relief: psychotherapy, medication, self-help books, meditation. Maybe you have even tried sex, sugar, alcohol, drugs, shopping, or exercise. The truth is, most of those things (both the healthy and not-so-healthy) will help relieve your stress to some degree but you need more than a temporary fix. This year is your year to feel good and to finally let go of the strange fear that has been siphoning the happy out of your day.
The deal is, to cure anxiety (and it’s friends “stress” and “worry”) you simply have to cure it on every layer of your being. If you have anxiety, it has woven itself into the fabric of your WHOLE being. That’s right, you need to reprogram all of the layers of you- not just change how you think (your mental layer) or learn to belly breath (your physical layer). After 20 years of treating anxiety, practicing as a psychotherapist, life coach, energy healer, spiritual counselor and devotee of science, I just had to put everything I knew in one place for people so I wrote this “ultimate modern therapy” program called The Soul Cure For Anxiety. It reprograms anxiety by finding all the places it hides in your system and rewrites a new reality. Here’s some tools from the program to help you right now:
THE 7 LAYER FIX TO CURE ANXIETY DOWN TO YOUR CORE
1)YOUR PHYSICAL LAYER: to reprogram this layer you need to practice the tools that re-wire your amp-ed up system. Learning to meditate to reduce your baseline anxiety level, belly breath to calm you down when you start spiraling during what I call a “Peak Incident”, use freezing cold water to stop and anxiety attack and master the 7 Non-Negotiables to have a stress-resistant body are imperative. The muscle memory of body must be reprogrammed to be at ease throughout the day so that it is natural to respond to life in a calm and collected way. Anxious people tend to be so afraid of their anxiety that their fear escalates their responses to triggers.
Try this tool out next time you feel stress or an anxiety attack coming on: Stop your body from moving. Freeze. If you can, lay down on the floor or on a couch and put your arms in an X over your chest. Take a nice deep belly breath. Now explain to yourself what is happening like this: “I am getting stressed. I am starting to get revved up and my heart is racing. My breath has gotten shallow. This is adrenaline in my body. That’s all it is. This is just stress and nothing more.” And now talk yourself into how you want to feel: “I can breath, I take a deep breath. Everything is okay. All is well in my world. I will be fine as the adrenaline leaves my body.”
2) YOUR MENTAL LAYER: your mind has probably felt like your enemy for quite some time now. After all, it surely seems to concoct lots of things for you to ruminate about. Reprogramming this layer requires that you become the Observer who is in charge of letting go of thoughts and discard all of the anxious beliefs you have inherited. I literally teach people tons of mental tricks to guide the magnificent workshop of their mind to a happy place where it can benefit them. Try this one next time you find your thinking about something that causes you anxiety: observe the problem thought and decide to “change the channel”. Say to yourself “I am changing the channel of this thought and mentally turn the dial to something- anything- you like better. You can turn to a mental channel that has cute puppies, your favorite funny memory, a successful moment in time, roses and peonies, or angels. Yes, you might need to do this over and over. After all, you are reprogramming the mind until you are the one in charge (the way it’s supposed to be).
3) YOUR EMOTIONAL LAYER: When reprogramming the emotional layer, it’s interesting (and healing) to see how anxiety has actually served you. All behaviors- even the messy, annoying ones- have served us now or at some time. In this layer, we honor the old stuff we’ve been carrying around and then put it down. Anxiety has usually helped people stay safe (by not being authentic), enabled them to cope, or distracted them like the useful decoy it can be. I often see this with grief: people engaging in anxious thoughts about this or that to distract them from feeling some deep sadness. Here’s something to try: ask yourself what would you REALLY be feeling if you weren’t busy with worry or anxiety. OR ask yourself: what parts of authentic self am I not letting be exposed? Listen to the answer closely.
4) YOUR ENERGETIC LAYER: The deal is that we all have energy blocks. Energy flows perfectly until it gets jammed up in our energy bodies from life experiences. Anxiety is a major energy block and it causes energy gridlocks as well. We must must must deal with ourselves on a energetic level and move this energy. The good news is that it’s not terribly hard to do and if you use an energy healing method like “Tapping” or “EFT” you will relieve the anxiety in the moment and rewire your energy body reducing the likelihood of future episodes. Use this video to alleviate your fear with tapping. In addition, people need to learn and I teach people how to protect their own energy fields with techniques that acknowledge just how sponge-like most of us are.
5) YOUR BEHAVIORAL LAYER: Unwittingly, many of your behaviors are actually causing your anxiety. To rewire this layer, we need to rewire your avoidance and procrastination, get you unhooked from the overdose of EMFS from media, and help you say Yes and No to what you really need and who you really are. Try this out: Use my “Tipping Point Tool” and evaluate all things with this question- “Will saying yes to this (whatever you are making a decision about) truly add more joy to my life or will it add more stress?” follow the advice of your answer, even if it does against your habits and norm.
6) YOUR SPIRITUAL LAYER: I really enjoy teaching people how anxiety is not an enemy, not a mystery, but actually a CALLING. That’s right: it’s a calling to your soul to align yourself with your highest self. Reprogramming this layer means becoming aware of your true essence as a being of love and light that is perfect- right here and now- as you are, and as you are growing. The love for the self is expanded to included the love of all perfectly imperfect beings. Sure it’s hard! Spirituality is not for the faint of heart. But this is how you transform anxiety into a way to connect in and up. Try this tool out: Ask yourself what judgmental, fear-based beliefs you have about yourself that need a dose of love. The answer, my friend, is how your anxiety is helping you to grow.
7) YOUR KARMIC LAYER: This layer can be confusing to some and can mess with their own personal beliefs systems, but the meat of the material is actually pretty simple. Your soul is seeking spiritual perfection or enlightenment, meaning that while you are hanging out on earth you are trying to be your highest- most “god-like” self. Trouble is, we carry the energy from this life and the past because energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed. This is why your anxiety is actually a much bigger picture- it is not only a calling for you to become more “love” and “light” -like for your benefit now, but to also finally realize this truth for eternity. I coined a phrase: “The Soul’s Eye View”. Now ask yourself, how are the issues that make me anxious trying to help my soul grow and change, for both my betterment and that of others (because we are all connected and helping one another grow)? This is what the Soul’s Eye shows us.
It’s pretty simple to see, because most interventions used in the past to help anxiety have often been too narrow, how and why little change has occurred for stressed, worried, and anxious people. In my 20 years of treating anxiety, I surely have seen what works…and what doesn’t.
If you would like to learn more about how I brought all of the tools together to heal each layer of the being check out THE SOUL CURE FOR ANXIETY: The Ultimate Modern Therapy To Be Calm, Cool, and Connected (no matter what happens in life) and sign-up to download your Free meditations.
It’s my mission to cure this world of anxiety- let’s do this together!
Wishing you a calm, cool, and connected year,
Beth Miller, LCSW, CEC
Beth Miller is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certified Life Coach, energy healer, and spiritual counselor in Bayport, Long Island, New York USA. She has one foot firmly planted on the earth while the other is exploring the spiritual mysteries of energy. She works with individuals in person and via telephone, teaches workshops and groups, and has a lively YouTube channel in which she teaches tools to cure anxiety and get in the flow of life. She is the author of The Soul Cure For Anxiety: The Ultimate Modern Therapy To Be Calm, Cool, and Connected (no matter what happens in life), a program that delivers the most effective therapy treatment to the inbox of anyone and everyone who wants to radically change their stress, worry, and anxiety.
Download 5 FREE Guided Meditations TODAY! Click here to enter in your email address and start meditating!